Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Neighborhood Activities For Kids


It is never too late to have a happy childhood. ~ Tom Robbins
 
   We were lucky to have some recent additions to the neighborhood. Three girls living within three doors of our place makes for some fun evenings in our cul-de-sac. The big questions is what kind of activities are there for our children to keep them engaged and entertained, just in case the imagination runs out for the day? I read a quote that mentioned playing outside with our children is a lost art. I spent most of my childhood outside, though my father wasn't really there to participate. I'm just a big kid these days, so it's easy for me. I'm on my bike, with my 'Lil Man riding on the bar in front of me, chasing the girls on their bikes around our quiet street. When they're not playing bunnies, princesses, or just chatting, we've offered some alternatives.
   I've always had boxes on hand. Cardboard tunnels are ALWAYS a hit, and are disposable or re-usable afterward. Sidewalk chalk is also a neighborhood favorite. The kids practice their names, pictures, and quite often create mini roads of their own to travel on their bikes and scooters. We also keep a supply of Otter Pops, fruit snacks and such on hand for the kids to always have something to slow down and socialize while eating something fun or healthy, depending on the day.
   Finding neighborhood activities can depend on location, traffic, number of kids, etc. Before our new friend additions, I was out front with the children regardless, making it fun. I challenge us all to try harder, for they will demand you to leave them alone with their electronics and cell phones soon enough.
 
J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment