Monday, November 12, 2012

Veteran's Day 2012

Everett Howard Swann (left) 1918-1975     -     Arthur Wayne Schofield (right) 1922-Present


“War does not determine who is right - only who is left.” ― Bertrand Russell
   On this Veternan's Day, I wanted to post a rememberance of the men in our family that served in the military. Both of my granfathers served in the Army Air Corp. Everett, on my father's side, died the week after I was born. Without writing a book, I know he was good at what he did and was recognized for some innovative thinking within his time in the service. Arthur celebrated 70 years of marriage this past year, only to lose his sweetheart about 6 months later. His time in the service is still labeled as "war is pointless". He lost his brother early on and has never wanted to talk about it much, other than to put down the concept of war.
   I don't know anyone else that has spent that kind of time in the service within our family, making them icons to us, for participating in something so great and terrible. Their experiences are unique in our family, as none of us can relate. I'm proud to be of their blood and know them to both be honorable and loving men, who put their wives and families first. Between them there are 7 children, 26 grandchildren, and 71 great-grandchildren. The legacy lives on.
J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment