Saturday, July 27, 2013

Leaving A Clean World


"Let everyone sweep in front of his own door, and the whole world will be clean."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

   I was out driving this morning and I spotted an older woman along side the road. She had a garbage bag in one hand, and a trash pick in the other. She was cleaning the area along the sidewalk, because she wanted to. I was gone our and about for 30-45 minutes or so, and on my way back I saw that she had made her way to the other side of the street, further up. She was waist deep in weeds, ensuring she got every piece of trash she could see. 
   I was impressed with a person's desire to make her community a better and cleaner place. It's a lesson in taking pride and as my father always put it, "leaving things better than you found them." I've recently been trying to teach my 7YO 'Lil Miss the concept. It's lost on the younger two, but it's something worth teaching now and along the way. 
   I'll say it again, I was impressed and inspired. We can all do better. My recycling bin is now ALWAYS more full than my trash bin. I'm proud of the progress we've made and know there is much more that can be done. I challenge us all to do better, and to teach our young ones what we were taught no so long ago. To leave the world a better place. Let's get to it. 

J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment