Friday, May 4, 2012

Children, Can You Hear Me?


As far as my kids listening to me, they're on the fence.

     It just dawned on me, as I was trying to think of a clever caption for the above picture, why I wrote that. The kids and I love to watch animal videos on YouTube. We watch the loud ones, like gibbons, lions and such.We stumbled across an amazing video of a gorilla pack. It's about 6 minutes long, but the kids were enthralled. I was struck at 5:10, where the silverback wanders off after babysitting the kids and their curiosity in the human. I watched the silverback leave,.....and the offsring instantly followed.

 

     The light bulb went on. No tantrums, no crying, no deals made to stay "just a little bit longer". I looked at my 6 year old 'Lil Miss and asked, "See how the babies listen to their daddy and follow him without arguing? Why can't YOU guys do that?" She smiled with no response, and continued to watch in awe. I think the point was lost. NOT ON ME! I look to better my communication with my kids, so that I get a better response to direction in stores, parking lots, and others that are needed to protect them "out in the wild" We'll probably need to revisit this topic again.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment