Monday, March 28, 2011

BBQ Weekend - The All-American Tradition


"Men like to barbecue. Men will cook if danger is involved." - Rita Rudner

   This weekend saw me at the barbecue, working my magic on the grill. As summer slowly approaches, it felt like a good start to the spring season. I've recently moved into the "intermediate" classification, after spending many years in the "novice" category. I used to sear the outside of my food, while leaving the inside an uncooked mess. These days, I'm able to find the delicate balance of heat, spice, and timing. This particular weekend (pictured) found me standing over my little piece of perfection. Dinner for 14 and everything went to plan. It was a simple set of hot dogs and burgers, but we've done chicken, fish, steaks, skewers, corn, potatoes, etc. I've toasted buns on the upper rack and made use of all the real estate offered. While my kids were playing with cousins, I was having a "All-American Tradition" moment. I was in the barbegroove and carried a smile the whole time. We had all the stuff that made it a great dinner. Everyone's got their own tradition, here's was ours for this weekend:

- Hot dogs, and hamburgers (cheese as requested)
- Lawry's seasoning and Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce
- Farmer's market corn on the cob, cantaloupe, salad
- Baked Lay's barbecue potato chips
- A & W Root Beer (in a frosty mug if possible)
- Brownies (with as many corners as possible, like the Edge Brownie Pan)

Fill in the gaps as you see fit, but get those kids outside, fire up the grill, and have a great time!

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment