Friday, April 1, 2011

Beach Boys


"If everybody had an ocean, across the U.S.A. Then everybody'd be surfin', like Californi-a"  - Beach Boys

   So we recently spent some time with family in Mission Bay, San Diego. My 5 year old spent her time being chased by encroaching waves. I spent my time getting my 1 year old boy used to the idea that the same water can kill you. The lesson was lost. He just wanted to sit in the water. We were there as the sun set on a beautiful day. I was focused on the moment. Bills, pay, leaky water faucet, etc. were all forgotten.
    We all need that time. Whether it's the beach, the mountains, the local park, the mall. Find the time to be with your brood, 'yer critters, them rugrats. I used to spend a lot of time bad mouthing my old man, and how little he focused on us. As I've gotten older and wiser (p-yeah! right!), I realize just how much time he DID focus on us. Hikes, father/son campouts, sporting events, rodeos, post-symphonic band ice cream trips, etc. I have a vast archive of stories and experiences, and I am now trying to create them with my own. In fact, daughter is behind me, begging me to play "hotel". I'm off.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment