Friday, October 11, 2013

The Friday Flush #7

The Friday Flush #7

   Welcome to The Friday Flush #7. It's been another whirlwind of a week, with a LOT going on. It seems like with social media and our connected lives that there is no shortage of goings-on out there to check out, show interest, and move on from. Hence, The Friday Flush. Here in #7 of The Flush we look at an amazing DYI project, explore real and digital space, and view the past through old mugshots. 

DIY Camping Trailer
While I'm not all that handy with projects that require metric precision, I do enjoy trying new things. Again, my precision with measurements and cutting leave much to be desired, but I try new art projects and hope to one day be more skilled in DIY attempts. Case in point, the DIY camping tailer I saw on Imgur. This guy spend some 2-3 months putting together his own mini camping trailer and put many of us aspiring DIY hopefuls to shame. It's both humbling and motivating at the same time. Well worth the few minutes to view the steps, read the comments under each photo and be inspired to do more. I'm already planning my first project. The Wife asked about a DIY shed for the backyard. My prediction is that it'll look like something out of a Dr. Seuss book.

Box
Combining media elements is something that I'd like to do more of. I came across the video Box on YouTube that blew my mind and eyes. The project "explores the synthesis of real and digital space through projection-mapping on moving surfaces." Uh, yeah,...does it ever! The description states that it is "the culmination of multiple technologies, including large scale robotics, projection mapping, and software engineering." I didn't know what to expect at first, then was dazzled. Again, not knowing exactly what you're about to see, it's hard to determine what's real and what's digital. The combines so many aspects of what interests me. Animation, technology, creativity, and so on. I can't imagine how long it takes to put something like this together, but I can say, it's well worth it. Hats off to the crew who pulled this off.

Vintage Mug Shots
I enjoy history just as much as the next person. What fascinates me the most are the people. I enjoy ancestry, genealogy, and everything in between. I like to know where we came from and who those people were. An amusing portion of that are some of the early mugshots I came across. Posted on TwistedSifter.com with a quick description, the photos were originally posted by The Sydney Justice & Police Museum. They're funny, mesmerizing, and thought provoking all at the same time. After a quick search, I also found an article on the UK's Daily Mail that has some mug shots of my English forefathers busted for drinking around 1904. Have fun, as I keep going back to them for some reason. Maybe it's because I get lost in thought, wondering who they were, what they were like, and such. Look at how they dressed. What did they do to work, live, etc.? It's all fascinating to me. Or at least a fun way to pass a few some time.

   Thus ends The Friday Flush #7. Somehow we made it through and hopefully came out of it better people. We've been inspired to try new projects, had out minds scrambled through visuals, and viewed some mugshots who just might have been one of your ancestors (you never know). Now hold your breath until next weeks Flush. Last one gets a coupon for a free Frosty at Wendy's.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment