Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Letting Your Children Go


"Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go." - Hermann Hesse

   Today marks the farthest our 'Lil Miss has travelled away from us. The Wife and I are a ball of nerves and pride all at the same time. She's been with a friend's family before, almost as far, but it was easier on us knowing she was getting one on one care. Today she's with her 2nd grade class, and three other 2nd grade classes, headed off to the San Diego Safari Park. Google that thing, and you'll see how big it is. 
   Letting your children go is a tricky business. I saw a quote by British physician and writer Havelock Ellis who said, "All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on." Isn't that the truth. I remember sending my little girl off to preschool for the first time. The Wife and I were both a bag of anxiety. Then our sweet young lady gave the backhanded wave "good-bye" without even making eye contact and we knew she'd be okay. We've reached plateaus at each stage that we become comfortable in, only to be thrown out of our comfort zone with the next stage. Each new defining event brings with it new worries, questions, and decision to make about being strong verses being an overprotective parent.
   So it the question around letting your children go is, how strong are you? I don't believe we can hang on to them forever, but I also border on the paranoid. It's all about the next phase in life. From what I gather, I'm at level 7 of 1,347,923. Thus, as a father, I face my future as a parent with mixed emotions.
   I welcome any thoughts or advice that might sooth my soul. Until then, I shall continue pacing until I'm comfortable with whatever phase I'm in that has me biting nails and shuffling about.

J. 

1 comment:

  1. My wife and I are both teachers and our son has yet to go on a field trip without one of us going along with the class. Field trips are a bit of a nightmare! I'm sure it all went well!

    ReplyDelete