Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Daddy Travels - I Ain't Sleeping Well

     I don't know about all the other papa bears out there, but I don't sleep well when I travel along. This post comes from a regional meeting, and I am sharing a room with a co-worker. Now, I used to be able to sleep anywhere, and I mean ANYWHERE. I once had an apartment in England, where the mattress was so messed up, I slept on the floor with my duvet (comforter). I forgot the comforter in another city and ended up grabbing the curtains off the wall and sleeping in that until a few days later when I got my bedding back.
     These aren't the good old days. I've gotten used to my bed, sleeping next to my wife, and recently adopting a bedtime routine with the kids. What's more is that I miss them terribly. They drove me nuts up until the night before I left for this trip, and then I missed them by afternoon the next day. I think it's because we have a great little family, who loves to spend time together. It takes longer to get to sleep, and I wake up a lot through the night. Yet, we do this for a reason, and the reason is what we're missing. So it ends up being a necessary evil and a vicious circle.
     I take headphones on trips now, and listen to music to get me to sleep. It seems to help and that's all I need until these trips are over. I look forward to being reunited each time. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and I am so fond of them right now.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment