Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sick Kids - What To Do?


   Oh, it's that time of the year all-right. Time to spread viruses and bacteria like the plague is coming back in style. My house is no exception and we're knee deep in tissues and vapor rub. I think that your child's illness is one of the worst things to witness. It started with my daughter saying, "Daddy, I don't want to brush my teeth or read a story. I just want to go to bed." Yeah, something was DEFINITELY up. So sick kid: check. Now, what to do.
   I stumbled across the BRAT diet. Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Simple, yet effective for getting your child's stomach back on track. However, my current situation is a nasty cough, fever, etc. So we go with the tried and true methods of parenting a sick child. Pillow, blanket, fluids and movies. My wife's favorite was Pete's Dragon, while I just remember watching a LOT of cartoons on television. It's about making them as comfortable as possible (and drugging them, when it's age appropriate). I know we all want to be there for our little ones as fathers. I spent extra time rubbing her legs, scratching her back, stroking her hair and such, all to make her more comfortable as she went to sleep. In the end, that's all we can do.

J.

(pic via ourlifeinrewind)

No comments:

Post a Comment