Friday, December 13, 2013

The Friday Flush #12

The Friday Flush #12
   I'm excited for The Friday Flush #12, 'cuz I ran into some really cool stuff. The holidays in full swing, and it seems like everyone is busy, all the time. So it's nice to take a few minutes for ourselves and "flush" the system. See what I did there? Today we look at an artist who passed away too soon, see what it takes to make the best paper airplanes, and of course, random gadgetry coolness.

The Work of Zina Nicole Lahr
   I was combing the net, visiting some of my favorite sources for all things cool, when I stumbled across a video entitled The Work of Zina Nicole Lahr. It simply stated that she had passed away recent to the tribute video, and her work as an artist needed more attention. I started watching and wondered what kind of girl this was. Having an art degree, I'd spent plenty of time around people who were trying to hard to be outside the box and/or off the grid. I was worried that was what I was in for. I was wrong. Zina is her own person. It became clear that she is an icon unto herself. I was impressed with her vision, bravery, trueness to herself, and so on. There's a sweetness to her delivery and manner. I found myself sad that an artist and person of that caliber was lost so young. She's worth taking a look at. I found myself edified in several ways afterward. I wanted to create more, be more outward, and take more chances. I hope she gets more recognition.

The Paper Airplane Guy
   I've been making paper airplanes since I was a kid. I mean, what American boy doesn't follow that stereotype? The love and fascination of flight has dazzled the minds of children and the child in every adult forever. So when I found The Paper Airplane Guy, I was hooked. His videos are fun to watch by themselves. His tutorials to build the best paper airplane are a heaven sent, since the art form has taken root in our young family. With a second story banister that offers the perfect launching off point, we're all about flight these days. Luckily, the kids don't care how good they fly just yet, but I see that being a necessity in the near future. The paper airplane guy (John Collins) has a wonderfully enthusiastic way about him. He's excited about his craft and it comes across in his videos. I recommend them to whomever wants to have some fun with a past time of your childhood.

The Tronical Tune
   Okay, so gadgets are cool for a variety of reasons. One of the things we love about gadgets is usually the wow factor. With each new benchmark, we look to be impressed. When I saw the Tronical Tune in use, my jaw dropped. You can learn more from the company's site at tronical.com, but check out the first link, and tell me you didn't get a little giddy? Oh, what will they think of next? I had no idea this thing existed, mostly because I've not played guitar seriously for some time. Probably also because I'm not very good in the first place, but I digress. Gadgets are cool because they make our lives easier in some way, or do things in such a way that makes us look freaking cool just doing them! So it's worth checking out, even if just to say you did. 

   So there you have it. Another week, another dollar, another gray hair. We took some time to get to know a wonderful artist lost too young, learned how to make a paper airplane that soars, and learned we never have to tune our own guitar again. I'm sleeping in tomorrow, so don't come knocking and stay off my lawn. (wink 'n a smile)

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment