Thursday, December 12, 2013

When The Daddy Duck Says Quack Quack Quack

 

"Five little ducks went out to play, over the hills and far away.
When the daddy duck says quack quack quack, four little ducks came running back."
- childhood song
 
   When I was a kid, the song above was a favorite. The tune was soothing and the buildup was fun. At the end, when no ducks go out to play, and the daddy duck says, "quack, Quack, QUACK!!!",...all of the ducks come running back. I've passed this tune onto my older two, and it's especially a favorite of my 'Lil Man. He too likes the tune, knows the words, and loves the buildup to the end line. There's little hand motions that can go along with it, making it even more fun.
 
  The tune came to life recently when I realized something while we were all out front. I make sure in these early years that the kids don't play out front without The Cheeky Daddy or Mommy around. Even with supervision, the kids can stray to far. When I see that they've left the safe zone (whatever that is for the day), I whistle loudly with my fingers. It's a short piercing sound that my older two have gotten used to. So when I whistle, just once, they come running back. In the past several weeks, I found myself humming the song in my head or out loud. "When the daddy duck says quack, Quack, QUACK!!! All of the ducks come running back!"
 
   Their response is limited within the walls of the house, but some reason, I only have to "ask" once when outside. It's tells me that they can and will listen. It also tells me that I will always be protective of my little ones, even when they're not so little. Are you a mommy or daddy duck?
 
J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment