Thursday, February 21, 2013

Rock Climbing - A Family Affair?

 
"Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it." — Unknown

   One of the best parts of my teen years was my love for rock climbing. It started one summer at scout camp, and then blossomed when my father indulged as he was interested too. We hit Yosemite, Joshua Tree, and others. It was such a blast and I have such great memories of it. I didn't climb as much once my little ones came along. Time and safety became deterrents. But these next pics prove that I've tried to bring it back by including my family. 


   The Wife has expressed a desire to try it out and I KNOW my children would love to give it a go. Luckily my father has plenty of gear to spare a bit for us if we get serious. In the mean time, the best place to get started is a climbing gym. Average price is $10 per day per person. If a movie is that much for 2 hours, and Disneyland is $100 for the day, I'll take an indoor climbing gym as an alternative any day. Most gyms will rent you shoes and a harness too, as well as show you some pointers. There will be classes, specials and such. All you have to do it google "rock climbing gym" around your area and you'll find one. I have one within 3 miles and never knew it for the past 2 years!

   So look one up, pay a visit, and give it a try. I think this is an activity that my family will enjoy doing together. See you at the top!

J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment