Friday, February 1, 2013

Being A Daddy - Things I'll Remember


“To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.” - Bill Wilson
 
   The above image is of my Wee Lass grabbing a handful of my beard. I'm sure it's one part tactile and one part vertical support, and I don't mind in the least. There are so many aspects of being a daddy that I love, but the little hands are one of my favorite.
 
   My 'Lil Man stills sits next to me on the couch and strokes the back of my neck with his hands, feeling the bristle of the shorter hair after a haircut. It must be soothing. My Wee Lass LOVES to feel and grab my beard. My 'Lil Miss loves to have the palm of her hand stroked by my fingers.
 
   The stroking of my hand with my father's finger is the limited amount of contact I had with him as a youngster. It seems so important, more so than we sometimes know. A buddy of mine once told me that his mother wasn't much of a hugger his whole life. He's admitted to feeling odd showing physical affection to his own children, and it bothers him. I think we can all do better.
 
   So hug, hold hands, run fingers through hair, wiggle toes, etc. with your kids. The contact is needed, trust me. Besides, it makes a bad day good, a good day better, and will pay off in the end.
 
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment