Thursday, May 9, 2013

Multi-Tasking At Work - Wearing Many Hats

(Image Source: © Sacredsandwich.com) 
 
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone Mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.
But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
 
   When I first entered the working world, I thought the job I applied for was the job I'd be expected to do. Am I right in saying that I was TOTALLY wrong?! Tell me I'm not along in this. How many of us end up wearing any number of different hats where we work? It's become a national trend and expectation of us wherever we find employment, with varying levels of just how many hats can be stacked upon our heads.
   Some positions require multiple "hats" be worn that all center around the general tasks that are expected when employment begins. Multi-tasking is just a part of working life. Recently, for example, a doctor's office had front desk staff that were expected to also do vitals, clean the rooms for the next patient, etc. At the other end of the spectrum you have, which is what I've experienced. I was once a slot machine artist, and was also at times answering phones, testing machines, swapping and testing game boards, running network diagnostics, selling machines at the Global Gaming Expo, and so forth. That was the most hats I've ever worn.
   Not that any of us can expect to get paid for two jobs, but you must watch out for those who won't take their fair share. At the same job I mentioned above, I had a co-worker who performed the job that he was hired for, and NOTHING else. I ended up doing an entire load of work that should have been split between 2-3 of us. It can be frustrating, but such is life in the great old U.S. of A. I'm half tempted to go to work with a different hat on my head every day, as a symbol. Nah,...it'd mess up my hair. Now get back to work.
 
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment