Thursday, January 13, 2011

Root Beer - My Happy Place

  
     "Okay, he either said, "move to the back of the throat," or he "wants a root beer float".” ~ Dory, Finding Nemo

     I have loved root beer since I was a kid. I've had the cheap no-name stuff, hand crafted my own, and every other kind in between. My current every day favorite is Mug Root Beer (check 'em out, they've got some good recipes). When I can get my hands on it, a treat to myself is Dad's Root Beer (I actually have a Dad's pocket watch!). Some restaurants and stores carry IBC Root Beer, which fills the void when my other favorites are not available. I actually DID make my own root beer briefly. That all ended when I added too much yeast one day and they began to explode in our cupboards. One almost killed my wife as she began to pull 'em out off the shelf. That put an end to my brief career as a home brewer. Maybe one day I'll start it up again.
     My daughter and I have found a local root beer shop, specializing in all types of labels from all over the country. They have their own label brewed for them, which they use for their root beer floats. We share one every time we're in old town, though she's a bit of an ice cream hog. It's been a great tradition to start.
     Oh, and if you're a root beer nut like me, head over to Root Beer World. They've got over 2500 brands cataloged, recipes, links and such. Drink up!

J.

1 comment: