Monday, January 31, 2011

Eddie Izzard - Comedy At Its Best


     I spent some time in southwest England around 1995. Around the year 2003, my buddy introduced me to the comedy of Eddie Izzard. My world was changed. I was baptized by his 1998 perrmance in San Francisco, "Dressed To Kill". I was born in San Francisco, so his first 10 minutes here on "The City" ab-solutely killed me! I was hooked ever since.
     He is mildly irreverent at times, but I spent several years listening to English street humor, and he's spot on. His one person skits are the best, and I have yet to see anyone who matches them. I recently watched Believe: The Eddie Izzard Story, and loved it. Besides learning a bit more about my favorite comedian, it was a wonderful story about going after your dream, no matter what. He wanted something so badly, that failure, negative feeback and such were not enough to stop him. I got a lot out of his story.
     He's been in a slew of movies, had his own t.v. show and still tours. His IMDB profile is here. I think it's more of an "after the kids are down" thing, but I'd think lesser of myself if I didn't do a post about Eddie.  Some of my favorite Eddie lines:

- "Stonehenge. One of the biggest henges of them all. Nobody knows what the f&@! a henge is."
- “I grew up in Europe, where the history comes from.”
- “I'm an action transvestite really, so it's running, jumping, climbing trees... putting on make-up when you're up there!”
- "We stole countries with the cunning use of flags."
- "Charles Darwin wrote a famous book in 18[gibberish]. And that book was an interesting book, cuz it was called "Monkey-Monkey-Monkey-Monkey-Monkey-Monkey-You."

Check him out and enjoy!

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment